Social media has become a significant part of many people’s daily lives. Platforms like Facebook, Twitter, TikTok, and Snapchat provide users with opportunities to keep up with their friends, share life experiences, and interact with people from around the world. However, social media can also have detrimental effects.
As you enjoy these apps and websites, you should also be diligent in protecting yourself. Failure to do so could negatively affect your relationships, mental health, and even finances. Consider the following tips to ensure the safe use of social media:
- Use strong passwords. Your social media accounts can be hacked, allowing perpetrators to access personal information and even impersonate you. Make sure you protect your passwords and refrain from using the same one for multiple accounts.
- Activate multi-factor authentication (MFA). Even the most robust passwords may eventually be cracked. By enabling MFA, you can better protect your social media profiles by requiring additional proof of your identity, such as a fingerprint or verification code.
- Avoid oversharing. Part of the fun of social media is sharing your experiences with others; however, providing too much information may expose you to cyber criminals.
- Check privacy settings. To better protect your privacy and data while using social media, consider adjusting your settings to limit who can see what you post or share.
- Beware of fake accounts. Scammers may attempt to connect with you using fraudulent profiles. Limit your interactions to people and accounts that you trust.
Contact us today for additional information about social media and cyber safety.