Did you know in the event of a loss that you must show proof of your contents to your insurance company, before the claim is paid?
The guidelines below are for homeowners as well as business owners. Please be prepared before it’s too late.
Before a Storm
- Have an inventory for all contents, document where they are from.
- Have as many receipts as possible kept in safe place.
- Take pictures and have a backup of all contents in your home. Below are a few examples
- Furniture take a picture of the inside showing the brand
- Clothing, don’t just put jeans if they are expensive have a receipt or picture
- Appliances take picture of the serial numbers
- TV brand name, size etc.
- Computers have serial numbers and brand
- Have your agent and insurance company phone numbers with you in the event of a loss.
After a Storm
- Listen to local officials for updates and instructions.
- If the power is out, consult your weather radio for updates.
- Check on family and friends.
- If you have been evacuated, only return home when authorities say it is safe to do so.
- When driving or walking around the area look out for debris and downed power lines.
- Don’t drive or walk through flood waters.
As mentioned above, make sure to photograph the damage to your property. This will help assist you when filing an insurance claim. If you do have damage to your property, avoid further damage by covering a damaged roof with a tarp, boarding up windows, etc.
About Bates Hewett & Floyd
When you think about an independent insurance agency in Northeast Florida, you probably think of a small to medium size office run by a family or a few employees. If you have never visited or been inside Bates Hewett & Floyd, you have not experienced the big picture. With 30 employed professionals we are one big family (some blood, most not) that spans three offices and are spread throughout the many facets of insurance that Bates Hewett & Floyd.
Contact Us for your insurance needs, today.